Saturday, January 19, 2008

Impeach the Vice President?

Aloha-- This week we explore the United States Constitution. I went looking for hot topics in this area, and found an online campaign by Congressman Robert Wexler to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney. Here a link to his website:
http://www.wexlerwantshearings.com
Here is the House Resolution, submitted by Congressman Dennis Kucinich, giving some grounds for an impeachment of Vice President Cheney:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.RES.799:

The first video in our second unit gives the constitutional standard for impeachment. Do you agree with Congressmen Wexler and Kucinich? Should the vice president be impeached?

7 comments:

colleen said...

I don't agree with Wexler & Kucinich. Find that their charges are an attempt to deflect Congress's own responsibility in voting for our involvement in Iraq along with the funding for it. Why were they not questioning Cheney's statements at the time these statements were made? Constitutional responsibilities are not only the Executive but Congressional too. Art. 1, sec.7- Congress does pass bills. Art.1,sec.8 refers to Congress's power to "provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States. Are they saying they were unable to assertain the truth at the time?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I agree with congressmen Wexler and Kucinich. I agree that the president and vice president may have with held certin amounts of information, but isn't it congress job to find out all of the information before supporting the president and voting to go to war? Why are these questions and accusations only comming out now? Congress should have done a better job of digging and finding out the truth before making decisions that have affected many americans. If they are going to put the vice president up for impeachment then congress should also be looked at for there inability to use their resources to find out the truth about what was really happening.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I agree totally with congressmen Wexler and Kucinich. I think that congress along with our "trusted" leaders should be held accountable for their decisions. They should have done more extensive research as to the pros and cons of actually going to war. Its a little to late to point and finger and lay blame. I think the public should have been polled or at least asked their opinion before a actual decision was made.

Betsy said...

I agree with Wexler and Kucinich. I also believe that all who voted for the war under false pretenses or hasty decisions should be held accountable. I know that it is Congress's responsibility to vote in our best interest, and that they most likely voted for the Iraq war because of the statements made by the Executive Branch of our Government. I agree that they should have done more research before voting, and hindsight is 20/20, but the questions and accusations are not just coming out now, just the charges to impeach the V.P are. I think that Dick Cheney used information to support his stance on the invasion and presented it heatedly and so that if you voted against the invasion you were considered unAmerican. Honestly, how do the Congressman get to "research" things such as going to war? When at the time, we were so emotionally distraught with the attack on our country? I don't know how they get their information, but at the time we were attacked, there was a lot of false information out there- who put that out there? Shouldn't they be held responsible?

colleen said...

I think the idea of getting public input would be very interesting. Access to all information used by our Executive Branch, Legislative and the Judiciary would be helpful. Computers helpful but like all research-source information is the key. We tend to take our info in either sound bites or someone else's synopsis. Print information is good but lately even print sources are questionable too. Best decisions based on information available. Maybe a way to turn things around faster if a decision is based on erroneous facts. Do you know that we have spent close to trillion dollars on this ???war??police action?? help??

Anonymous said...

I dont know if its what type of research congress has to do before going to war, I feel that the information is out there they just need to make better use of it. Also as a country we have developed into a wait and see mentality. No one wants to be the first to say anything or take a stand on something. Congress, the president and vice president are to worried what the voters will thnk. So they all wait till someone screws up then they jump on the band waggon to make themselves look good. Look at the presidental debates, they are all accusing each other about who voted for the war and who did'nt. Which canidate supported the war and which one voted against it. In the end it comes down to looking out for the best interest of our country and its citizens.

Ashley said...

I completly agree with Wexler & Kucinich. I do think that both the president and vice president should be impeached - or should atleast be more clostly observed and this matter should be carefully taken into consideration. Under Article II section 4, the president or vice president and all civil officers of the U.S shall be removed from office on impeachment for and conviction of treason, bribery or other high crimes and misdemeanors.I think that president and vice president/oficers could be convicted of 1 if not all of the above. I have been looking into this issue for a while and have viewed several documentaries on the War in Iraq. I think that what has been going on behing closed doors is absolutly discusting and the people in office have done nothing for the people of the United States and have had only their best intrest at heart. I think that all of their actions while in office have been for their own benifit and for their own personal wealth. The president and vice president have not only brough on an unjust war but have infringed on the rights of the people of the U.S. by passing the Patriot Act. All of this was done by blinding the public of what was really going on. I think that if most people were to sit down and read all the provisions to the Patriot act they would be shocked. The president clearly deceived the American people with the threat of "weapons of mass distruction" when infact there is evidence that the only weapons they have are the ones that were given to them by US and through extensive searches - they have found no weapons of mass destruction. The president has not only destroyed the lives of so many innocent Iraqis but have also destroyed outlook of people outside the U.S. The U.S. now has a completly different reputation after the Iraq war. I could go on forever about this topic but I do believe that the people of the United States have been deceived in many ways and I do think that those in office should be brought to justice before any more damage can be done.