Monday, January 14, 2008

Junes Jones and Government's role

Aloha--

Junes Jones and the amazing 2007 Warriors raised a lot of pride in Hawaii, some of which turned into dismay and anger when Jones left the program to become the head coach at SMU. A lot of people have been dishing out a lot of blame - sometimes, it seems, to everyone they can think of. I can see the connection with people directly associated with UH - Herman Frasier, Virginia Henshaw, David McClaine (I'm not saying that I think they're at fault - just that I see their connection to the situation as they are all in the hierarchy at UH Manoa). But I've hears some grumbling about the Legislature and the Governor too.

What do you think is the appropriate role for the Leg/Gov in relation to what is essentially an internal UH matter? Should they be blamed? Should they be involved? Should they be looked to for leadership in this situation, or would that be inappropriate, or micromanagement?

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

5 comments:

Lady L said...

I think it is appropriate for the Leg/Gov to get involved if there is revenue that will potentially be lost if UH can't bring in new students. With the year that we have had I suspect that enrollment would have been up and that means more money would poor into our state. We only have college football as compared to other states where they have NFL teams to bring in revenue to their states. I don't think one person is to blame I think maybe many different people had small parts to play in the whole scheme of things. I think that the Leg/Gov should back or work together with UH to find a appropriate solution.
Lisa Ancog

Erin Owens said...

From what I understand, lack of support from UH and from the State is partly what caused June Jones to decide to go to SMU, so perhaps the Leg/Gov should have gotten involved. I also think that the State should support those things that bring the people a sense of pride. I'm sure revenue is a factor, but to me, it was amazing to see how much support the UH Warriors got this season. I don't really watch football, but this season I watched a couple of games and even attended the Washington State game, just because everyone was so jazzed about it. So the State should take steps to protect that.

colleen said...

The extent to which the Legislature gets involved in the management at UH could get out of hand. That would be micromanagement. In this case UH administration has themselves to blame for allowing the Legislators along with public opinion to "carry the ball". Appears that there are no accountability measures at UH and this does not bode well when you go to ask for money to do programs. Pres. McClaine's call for program cuts will probably occur to demonstrate that UH has accountability. How could they go to the Legislature for money for the next fiscal year? This entire Athletic Dept. fiasco could have far reaching implications. Remember there is a strong community sentiment that UH is a "ivory tower" with no real community understanding.

Betsy said...

I don't think that Legislation should get involved in this matter. Sure, we may lose revenue this year due to June Jones departure, but how does one calculate that? Enrollment numbers do not necessarily reflect WHY a student chose to apply.
I think that is an internal UH matter. I agree with Colleen completely on this matter- the UH Admin has to hold responsibilty. My lawyer friend told me that June Jones got a volleyball player pregnant 5-6 years ago, and that she happens to live in Texas, so he may have been planning to go there anyway..it is a personal choice for him. And I don't think any pride was lost for the Warriors when June left- just look at the people walking around on any given day with UH gear on. We still love our team, no matter who is coaching.

Anonymous said...

I do not believe that any part of our government should be held accountable or at leat blamed for the loss of warriors Coach June Jones. This situation should have been dealt with within the school system.