Monday, February 25, 2008

You can't get your law from "Lost"

As I watched this past week's episode of Lost, I saw something that reminded me that, which TV gets the law right some of the time, it will ruthlessly sacrifice accuracy in preference to drama (I understand this happens in the medical world, too - there's actually a website that critiques each episode of House on the way it handles the medical emergency of the week).

I experienced that in the courtroom drama on Lost [spoiler alert]. Apparently right after the opening (Kate's attorney murmured, "We got killed in the opening,") the defense puts on Jack as their character witness. !! I guess we're supposed to assume that they actually already submitted substantive evidence as to why Kate didn't commit the arson, murder, etc. But then, AFTER the defense witness, the prosecution goes into a tizzy when their "chief witness" can't testify.

Why can't she testify? Well, the prosecutor says it's because she's in the hospital, but the real reason should be because is that IT'S TOO LATE. The prosecution has to make their case in chief first. Their "chief witness" - the one who is testifying to Kate's confession - would have to come in the prosecution's main case, well before the defense calls Jack to the stand.

Yes, it's more dramatic this way, but it's wrong.

No comments: