Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What's in a name?

One of the minor but interesting issues about the paralegal profession is what to call those who practice in it. Apparently when the profession was first developing, the preferred name was "legal assistant," but the preference now is "paralegal." Does it make a difference to you? Does "legal assistant" sound less impressive than "paralegal," or it is just a difference without a distinction?

Along those lines, here's a humorous clip on the "paranormal paralegal" that may have an impact on what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAUVsbqlSbY

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that people do not like to be called an "assistant" in any situation. It makes the job seem less important in my opinion. When I worked for Star-Bulletin as an Advertising Assistant, I changed my title to Advertising Specialist and I could see that the clients treated me with more respect. Could be that assistant sounds like you are just a helper to a more important job, I don't know! I would rather be called a Legal Consultant or something glamorous sounding like that :)

Anonymous said...

LOL, I agree with Betsy. I would prefer to be called a paralegal. Somehow assistant doesn't seem as important or indicate that you are a professional.

colleen said...

What's in a name? You would be surprised what people understand or misunderstand. There are similarities such as advisor or counselor? But when it comes paralegal and assistant there is a depth of difference. When asking others what they knew in most instance assistant drew answers pertaining to clerical support with differentiations being made to an executive assistant. No mention of it pertaining to the legal profession. Whereas paralegal had people stating "helps a lawyers", "does legal research", and "works in a law office". I know legal secretaries who make a great deal more money than a position titled administrative secretary.
Yes, there is much to be said in a title and a correct title at that.

Jenee Odani said...

I think that job titles are important, and definitely think that that the title "paralegal" sounds more prestigious than "legal assistant". Like the youtube video showed, there are lots of examples of "paraprofessionals" today, and I think most people understand the distinctions.

Anonymous said...

Paralegal sounds much more impressive than legal assistant. I think Legal Consultant sounds pretty cool too. The word assistant makes the job sound very unimportant, like you are just there to do something that requires no education at all, like open the mail.